Sunday, January 14, 2007

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' ON SUCH A WINTER'S DAY...

I am back from my three day weekend get away to Northern California…..What an amazing time I had!!! It has been shockingly 30 years since I have been to the bay area, a fact that will be changed PRONTO!!!

FUN AT THE WHARF…
All I can say is…… burrrrrrrrr!!! When you hear about “sunny” California, don’t believe a word!!! It might have been “sunny” but warm it was NOT!!! Being a simpleton cold weather Utah girl, I assumed to just bring a trench coat minus the button in warm lining!!! NO HAT. NO SCARF. NO GLOVES. One cousin and spouse flying in for the memorial hooked up with us on the Wharf. We had such an amazing fresh seafood meal and gut-busting laughter, that I believe people in the restaurant must have thought we had just got finished with a wine country tour…..


SALSA FIX…
What would a trip be to Northern California without a little SALSA???? The minute I thought I just might be heading towards Team Salsa, I emailed m3 with hopes that I could drop by for a quick meet and kiss Marie and Rose.... What FUN and JOY to see m3 again, meet Rod and watch the amazing antics of the Funshine Girls. Mary-Mia has said that these gals just crack her up..... I am here to testify that these little bundles of cuteness are a crack up!!! What amazingly cute parents Rod and Mary-Mia make. I will post more pictures and tell more tomorrow.... Oh, Rose is closest to me and Marie is the other cutie.....




CLOSURE...
The main reason for this trip was the memorial for my cousin. I was so dreading this!!! We had a drive of about an hour and a half. On the way down my Dad, Mom, Brother John and I talked about of memories of Ben and the childhood memories of visits to this area to visit the California cousins. I really thought we would be having a SOB FEAST. I could not have anticipated anything more beautiful, spiritual and enlightening. I knew Ben as a teasing cousin. Always fun, teasing me, and oh so very cute!!! I knew the Ben from the Christmas and ski vacations. The guy who came for school at BYU and spent Sunday dinner and Thanksgiving weekend with us. After the memorial, I knew him as a spiritual man, community leader, friend and a much loved “Uncle Ben”. Years ago, he was chatting with a friend about what they each wanted at their funerals….. Ben wanted people to be happy, have fun, and remember that part of him….. I cannot convey enough about the beautiful music and the memories of Ben. Instead of a sob feast, all of us left feeling the essence of Ben….. Comfort, Peace and hopefully closure for his beautiful mother and siblings. We may never know what happened to Ben a year ago, but we all feel his is in a better place.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the memorial turned out so wonderful. Glad you also got to spend sometime with the Salsa twins! Glad to hear you are home safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the memorial was such an uplifting one and that it was what your cousin would have wanted. How great that you got to catch up with friends, too!

Tana

C's Mom said...

I am glad the memorial turned out to be one of comfort. It has to feel better to know that's exactly how Ben would have wanted it.

A visit with team salsa in person...ah, how fun!

Anonymous said...

It is cool to see you visit with Rose and Marie. I wish you a happy and shorter than expected wait!
Susan J. (Anna's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Ohh! You should have told me you were coming!! Looked like a fun tri!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I just read why you were here, I don't know how I missed it...so sorry. I hope things work out...
Lisa

4D said...

Sounds like the memorial was one that left you feeling happy and better for knowing Ben.

Must have been great to receive Double Salsa hugs and kisses!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your cousin...but the service sounds just like what he would have wanted.

Glad you got to check in on Rose and Marie...what cuties! Bet you're looking forward to the day you can take little Tate to meet them!

wzgirl said...

Hugs, you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your families lost. I'm glad you could be there for his family.

Lucky you to see the "girls"!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Lisa that he has never been found. I am glad that the memorial went well, as sad as it was.

Getting a trip to see the Salsa fam must have made for good fun!! Love the pick thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Lisa that he has never been found. I am glad that the memorial went well, as sad as it was.

Getting a trip to see the Salsa fam must have made for good fun!! Love the pick thank you for sharing.

Donna said...

Oh, I'm SO jealous that you got to meet Rose and Marie and see Mary-Mia again!! Watch out Mary-Mia, Joe and I may be knocking on your door soon to meet the twins too...I don't know if I can wait for a Utah trip reunion. ;)

Lisa, I'm so glad to hear that the memorial service went so well. It sounds like you all have some closure now and many great memories of Ben...just what he wanted.

Donna :)

Kelli said...

Wow Lisa, what an awful thing to happen to your family, it's just incredible. I didn't see the original posting (until today) so I'm still just dumbfounded by the very idea that this could and di happen. I'm so glad that your family could find closure and together you could celebrate Ben's life in the way he wanted you all too. You're lucky to have such wonderful memories to cherish.

M3 said...

Hey Lisa, big hugs about the memorial - glad you shared some wonderful memories of Ben with everyone who attended.

It was so great to see you guys. What fun! I was hopping up and down as soon as I heard you were coming to town. Poor Rod must have had to listen to Utah Bloggy Girl tales for a week. Can't wait to see you again.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great picture of you and the Salsa girls!!

Glad that you can find a positive side to your cousins memorial.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa - My name is also Lisa. My husband and I live in California, and we have a March 3 LID! The wait is so grueling, isn't it?! But when we hold our little ones, we will know it was all purposeful in that we will have the girls who are meant for us! All the best to you!

Chantele said...

I am glad the service for your cousin went well.

How cool it must be to say that you've met the Salsa Twins in person. :) So happy your visit was wonderful.

Chantele