Sunday, May 25, 2008

OPRAH'S SUMMER PICK FOR FAVORITE TURKEY BURGER

I decided to try a little healthy grillin' this weekend so I made this for my family..... something full of fruits and veggies and low fat..... Mix reviews from the family..... Dad said in his true meat and potatoes kind of way "give it back to Oprah"... Smiley, the oh so adventuresome fifteen year old "tried it, but not too thrilled about it". Me and my mom.... LOVED IT!!! I felt totally satisfied, yet like I really ate smart. It was what guys would term "chick food".... I give a two thumbs up....
Turkey Burger
Serves 8

Oprah found a new favorite food when she tried this turkey burger at Mar-a-Lago, Donald Trump's private club in Palm Beach. "I believe [it] may be the best turkey burger in the entire world," she says. The Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burger will be permanently available at the Trump Bar and Grille in Trump Tower in New York City, open to the public for lunch and dinner. It will also be served during lunch in Chicago at Sixteen, the Trump International Hotel restaurant.


INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1/8 cup canola oil
4 pounds ground turkey breast
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. chipotle Tabasco™
1 lemon, juice and grated zest
1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney, pureed


Saute the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool. Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sauteed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with a side of Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney and your favorite toasted bread, pita or hamburger roll.

Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney
Recipe courtesy of Jeff O'Neill
Serves 8

This pear chutney topping is the key to giving the Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burger that extra zing.


INGREDIENTS
1 Anjou pear, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 cups Major Grey's Chutney
1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
Preheat oven to 350°. Toss the diced pears with the cinnamon and salt. Bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Cool and mix with the chutney and currants or raisins.

9 comments:

laurel said...

That looks totally good. I think I will try it~ Thanks!!

Shannon said...

It looks good, but man that's a lot of ingredients for a burger. I've heard good things though...maybe I'll have to give it a try!

Rachel said...

Sounds good, but I don't think my kids would eat it! :)

Donna said...

Yummy! I don't know if Emma would go for it, but I know I'd love it...

Gracencameronsmomy said...

Oh yum! I am going to try it! I want to be in the audience for one of Oprah's "favorites" shows!!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you interest in healthy cooking - I bet I would have loved it!

L.

Susie said...

I watched this episode of Oprah too! It sounded really great, but in real life I try this healthy food and I instantly hate it and everything about it. Is it me? I try to be good but I have an evil body. By the way, how's your spirit? Mine is feeling a little bruised and beat up. With all the issues in China I am feeling quite nervous.

Alyson and Ford said...

I enjoy preparing and serving new healthy recipes. I generally find that about half way through the bottle of wine the enjoyment really starts to kick in :)

I do like trying new recipes - I'm printing this one out. Thanks...
peace
fm

Jennie said...

Hi Lisa. I'm not ignoring you! I did read your comment on my blog! Email me at djdredge_8@ msn.com Thanks!!