Wednesday, September 17, 2008

HURRICANE IKE

Right now myheart and mind right now are with the people who are suffering from Hurricane Ike. I know I am a week late, but yesterday it HIT.ME.HARD. Some of you might know that I work for Contin*ntal airline who's HUB is in Houston. I work on the bussines elite desk in the reservations area. For ten days now I have worked either changing reservations for people who are either trying to get to their homes before or trying to flee away before Ike hits. As a whole I thought "wow, this is really bad" but when I started to talk to individual people, I realize how personal it has become to me.

I might be generalizing here, but I am assuming the elite callers I service are pretty financially stable. Some have talked about being able to bathe in their pools. Some have generators. While others have been able to flee away from the storm and later return. My heart goes out to these people but who I really am concerned for are those who are poor. Those who do not have the insurance to regroup their losses. Have extra food on hand, generators, gas, lodging and pools.


The day after Ike it, I talked to an elder man (sounding about 80 ish) from Galveston. He said his house has 5 feet of water in it and his large boat has sunk. Granted he was not poor and he could re-coop his losses but was still suffering. When I chatted with him, I thought he just might loose it and cry. He said he has given up hope of starting over and thinks he just may move to his son's in Kansas City. To be 80 and start over--- not a good thing.


Last night there was another man who talked about the joys of service he and his family were experiencing. His church had organized their missionaries, youth and able body adults into work forces to help those who can dig out, cut down and comfort. He said by giving service to others, they were able to deal with the losses that they were experiencing. He said there is always someone else who is worst off. He laughed that at his own home there were trees to be cleaned up but somehow helping others seems more urgent.


Every night for the past week on my drive home I re-hash my night. I digest the stories of service, suffering and pain. How can this not touch me all the way from Texas to Utah? I have grown in thought and spirit listening to others suffering and service. I have tried to give a listening ear and warm words to those I can touch via my job.


So to the people who are touched at all by Hurricane Ike, my love and heart goes out to you. I pray that these times of sorrow will also bring you strength and clarity in your lives. I wish you the best life can offer you at this moment.

7 comments:

Jennie said...

Very nice post, Lisa. It breaks my heart to watch the news. I have to agree with the one man you talked to. Service to others is a great way to feel good even in really tough circumstances. See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

You rock.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Ditto to what Julie said ~ You rock.

laurel said...

We are sad too. I love how you share your feelings. YOu are a good woman.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a heartfelt post....I can only imagine what you are hearing first hand in Houston....my heart goes out to all of those people!

Kramer said...

The stories are very tragic. One of the docs I work with has a wonderful family down in Texas and they had a lot of damage to their property. They have all relocated for the time with both his mom and mother-in-law here with him. The only problem they are now in wonderful Kentucky with no power (day 5) from the winds of Ike but at least they are safe and have a roof over their heads. Lots of prayers being sent to all of those affected from Ike.

Table for Six said...

Great post. Praying that you can be steadfast, their light, their rock as they go through the unthinkable. My heart goes out to those who are without $ and didn't have anywhere to go.. so sad. Your job must be so hard [hearing the stories] and rewarding [getting them where they need to go]at the same time.
thanks for reminding us- their routines and lives are not settled and won't be for a long time coming...