Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Things I have discovered about Tate so far…

Discovering Tate First Impressions

  • She is a show stopper…. I get comments from government officials to teens on the street.
  • She has two small bottom teeth.
  • She is a champion sleeper and pooper.
  • Her hair needs some taming.
  • She is curious and investigative.
  • There is no question about her hearing. She can hear congee boiling from miles away.
  • She eats well, but does not seem like it is a novelty to be fed.
  • She is eating congee, bananas, eggs, noodles, rice cereal and formula. She had her first tiny taste of ice cream.
  • She was so loved by care givers and director. She is so on target with most everything, her skin is good condition, she has rolls on her thighs.
  • She has a perfectly formed belly button, a little “outtie”
  • She has the most beautiful long slender neck.
  • She is tall, with long legs.
  • She has the cutest way of sucking her thumb! She sticks her left thumb in her mouth with fanned out fingers palm facing out.
  • Last night she sang her sweet sounds to me as I rocked her to sleep.
  • People in our travel group think that Tate and I are a lot alike in personality. My mom, who knew me when, totally agrees!

Tate’s learning curve

  • Tate is a fast learner. I clicked my tongue at her a few times. Suddenly she is clicking her tongue. She will initiate play with the tongue trick, loves it when we laugh at her doing this trick.
  • She loves the stacking cups… not a surprise to me. I showed her how to clap two together. She made two concentrated attempts and was successful the third time with a soft clap.
  • We are working on clapping. I am sure it is just a matter of days before this will be on her skill resume.

Tate’s bonding

  • She did cry so hard on the bus when she discovered that she was not near her caregivers. She cried HARD with a whimpering wind down, then fast asleep. Ever since then she seems to be fine. Good eye contact, tracks me with her eyes. Wants me for comfort and snuggling.
  • We are so lucky to be traveling with eight amazing families… Four of these families have babies from Poyang. One baby, Hannah was her “special” friend. We have photos taken of these two together. Tate is usually reaching out touching her in the pictures. Yesterday they got to see each other. The both lite up with excitement. Tate reached over and grabbed Hannah. I let Tate go over and hug and touch Hannah, taking my hands off of her for a second. Tate let off a huge wail, which stopped instantly when I held her.
  • On the way to breakfast today, we stopped and talked to our China guide. Tate was in the stroller. She seemed kind of serious and concerned until I left him. She instantly became her happy sweet self.
  • Same thing happened later. I was carrying her and she was getting a lot of attention from the staff on our floor. We were on out way to the China guide’s room. The whole time we are in his room, she is snuggle in my arms with this serious don’t mess with me face. This look went away when she no longer felt that threat.
First Bath

I cannot believe that I have had my gal for only 48 hrs. She seems like she has been in my arms always….. Oh man, my heart burns with love for her.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a family.

Love these tales of discovery. You are discovering things just as much as her.

So very happy for you.

Ani said...

so happy for you both! love the sleeping pic. that's how my little man used to sleep when he was a baby :)

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

Awww, she is adorable!

Joan said...

Oh Lisa... Tate is so wonderful. I am so happy for the two of you and can't wait to see the updates. Thanks for sending them!

kitchu said...

so happy for you both and love that she is doing so well and that you are both discovering together! she is just darling!

prechrswife said...

She is just adroable! Congratulations! (Are you working with Bruce in Nanchang or just Li Ping? They are both GREAT to work with.)

lora said...

What a Cutie!!

Shelley said...

So happy for you and your family. Tate is a little doll baby!

Abby's Mom said...

AWW So Sweet! (Tears) :):):)

Circe said...

Not only is she cute, but she looks so healthy! We are haning so much fun following your journey! I have ot agree...Tate stands out in a crowd! She's gorgeous!

fivekidz said...

Lisa and Tate,
i am so happy to see you 2 together. She is absolutely beautiful and you look over the moon. It is a great feeling knowing one more family that gave a square to Zoe GWQ is now together. Best wishes and congrats.. Bonnie and Zoe

Lisa said...

Simply beautiful.

Lisa said...

She is just soooo sweet! I love that she has already claimed you as hers... she just doesn't want to lose you!! Too sweet. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Susie said...

It is wonderful to read all these things! We are so happy for you. Tate is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her.

Jewels of My Heart said...

Pure Sweetness......
Isn't being a Mommy the most precious gift in the world.
I am so glad you two are enjoying each other.....
Happy Bonding.

and they lived happily ever after...

Stephe said...

Awe, she sounds TOTALLY AMAZING! I love all the bullet point updates! You will love this when you look back on this trip. I hope you are enjoying China with your little munchkin. She is just so DARN CUTE!!!!

Gracencameronsmomy said...

I can't wait to get your updates!! I am so happy for you...Congrats!

Michelle said...

Love your updates. It is wonderful that you two are so meant to be together.

C's Mom said...

Wow, oh WOW! Your girl is truly beautiful and such a mama she scored!

Life could not be more fabulous, eh?

I am so happy for you.

Donna said...

Sounds like things could not be going better for you and your girl.

Love her little buddah belly!

Luna said...

I just have a smile on my face from ear to ear the whole time I was reading your post. :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

My eyes well up every time I read here, especially since the pictures of Tate remind me so much of our friends Cinnamon and Spice at that age (twins from Poyang, now five). It's almost like walking down memory lane.

laurel said...

Wonderful! She loves you too!

Samantha said...

She is a beauty! Congratulations Momma!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty little girl!! So happy for you.

Do you get information on her birthparents? By looking at her eyes, it would appear to me that one of her birthparents may not be Asian. Just curious.

RamblingMother said...

precious! Just precious!

Linda said...

Love the bullets!! Sounds like things are going great. Happy to read that. She looks so beautiful and I think I see some mischief in her eyes. Watch out for the ride of your life, much laughter and love.
Linda

Alyson and Ford said...

Perfection! Loved reading your post! Just perfect!!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Eight Months

Paulette said...

She sounds like such a sweet heart and seems to be very conserned that something is going to take her a way from you. Never every again will you be apart.

Jill said...

What a chunky little monkey! Love following along. Sounds like things are going well for you both. Wonderful!!

Single Women Adopting Children said...

oh man thanks for the updates! she does look healthy/well cared for. it is fun to discover their likes and dislikes. sounds like you are enjoying your young baby! i bet now you are glad you got her so young!

OziMum said...

Simply gorgeous. I have no idea how C.c.@A do their matching, but Lordie! They do a fine job of it!!!