Friday, May 29, 2009

Tidbits...

BUDDIES FOR LIFE......
It is so strange how you can live a whole lifetime in the same area and not meet someone until you decide to adopt from China. This is the case when it comes to Tate's buddy for life. I was contacted by another China adopt friend in our area about a couple who was same LID and traveling with the China in country group. After several emails and chats, we realized we went to the same high school and graduated together. We both knew of each other but were not part of the same friend groups. The illustrious day arrived when we received our referrals... we could not believe both our new Chinese daughters were from the same SWI with only a month apart from each other. Tate is older by about 4 weeks and is so much bigger than Zelan. We think that Zelan was a preemie and was brought to the orphanage at 4 lbs. She is so beautiful.



TATE TIDBITES.....
I cannot believe that I have been a mother to Tate for only 4 days. She is so much a part of me. My body craves holding and rocking her. I am frustrated that she has to sleep. I just want to gaze and play with her non-stop. She is amazing. I really think she was fed and loved when she needed it and not on a schedule. Food is not so emergent to her as I expected. She eats well when she is hungry but will often refuse food and bottles if not in the mood. She reaches for me when she wants closeness, and coos oh so sweet. Today I was rocking her getting her ready for nap time and humming. If I stopped for a few moments to think of another song, she would start this singing like cooing to remind me to start again and would stop her cooing when I started mine.

CHINA TID BITS...
Today in China is Friday. Friday and Saturday are the weekend days for the workers. It is also the Dragon boat festival. We walked to a local park with my brother, SIL, Mom, Tate and myself. There was so much going on in this park. People come there to do Tei Chi, ballroom dance, sword fight, sing, and play instruments.
I watched two men playing the most interesting stringed instrument. I know someone out there will know the name of it. It was a small round base with a few long strings going up the long neck. It was played with a bow. Such beautiful sounds this was making. While we watched the happenings in the park, we became the HAPPENING in the park for the park goers. If we stopped for a second we were surrounded by people. They were gazing at us. I decided to give them what they wanted and held Tate up close to my face for everyone to see. I did that so that Tate felt safe in my arms and no one would attempt to pick her up like they did the other day in the over crowded department store. Thankfully our guides provided a card for us to show explaining who we were and why we had the most beautiful baby they had ever seen. Ok, OK. That part really was not written on the card, but I know what these people were thinking while gazing at Tate. How can you not?
This was so sweet.... there was a grandmother with a grandson who had two balloons. I guess she wanted to give Tate one of there balloons. She asked which balloon he wanted to give her and she received the blue balloon. She had the crowd enthralled with her joy of that balloon. The little boy was quick to fix the stick back on the balloon or fetch the wayward balloon.


What a insightful experience to have to be the minority, the one to be looked at, the one to feel some what a little uncomfortable. I do love the Chinese people. The seem so full of love and friendship towards us. I actually had someone in speak in English and thanked me for taking this "orphaned child". I kind of cringed when it is put this way. She is the jewel that China has provided for me. A priceless treasure beyond measure.

14 comments:

Tiffany said...

Eliza was the same age as Zelan when we were in China and she seemed to be that same size...Zelan is SO cute!

Love the pics of Tate. Looks like your family is smitten with her. I remember when we were in China, Susan's husband Jim said he now knew how Madonna must feel. Isn't is interesting to have celebrity status?! Ejnoy! Can't wait to meet Tate!

The Brown Family said...

How awesome to make a special connection with a friend from Tate's orphanage. Zelan is darling.

I love the pic of Tate sucking her thumb. She is absolutely beautiful. We were in Nanchang just over a year ago and even though it was our 3rd China trip we still had the crowds. I'm sure that you draw even more attention because you are so friendly and practice a little English on the streets (not to mention that sweet little one in the stroller!).

I love all the updates. Thank you for sharing so much with us.

Love
Kim

Abby's Mom said...

Beautiful post! She is such a beautiful sweetie.

Susie said...

Your pictures are precious. I am so happy that you are so happy. Thank you for letting us live vicariously through you. Every moment seems more tender than the last. Love you guys--

Paulette said...

Love all the pics and the read thread conection. Looks like Tate is in need of some shoes. You will find so many in GZ. If you can bring lots home they are so spendy on the other side.

Ani said...

How wonderful to make such a special connection for life.

Love the pics of Tate!

Kim said...

SOOOOOO CUTE..
Love the photos..
Sounds like you are having the time of your life.
Hugs..

Alyson and Ford said...

Love the pictures of Tate! Wonderful to meet with your old High School friend. Amazing how life is grand for you!! Enjoy!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Anonymous said...

What an amazing connection to have, someone who is within arm's reach in Utah. That is so very important and special for Tate and Zelan!

Circe said...

That instrument is an erhu. It means two-string. My friend Eli, who plays the cello on the street in downtown SLC, plays it. Anyway...I was so happy to see pictures of Zelan. They don't live far from us, and I know how long they have waited. Zelan is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing this journey. It takes me back to when we picked up tiny, cute litte Xanthe! It's such a precious experience. Glad you're having such a wonderful time! Tate gets cuter in every picture, I swear!

C's Mom said...

Just beautiful!

I love that story about the paths crossing again. Zelan is just gorgeous.

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Adorable! I am so happy for you! I can't seem to make the video play - and here I had been bugging you for so long!

Tana said...

Hey Lisa! That instrument is an erhu. :o) I bought one thinking that since I play the cello, it would be easy to figure it out. It would be if only the music were available in standard notation. Sigh... It makes a nice dust collector in my closet these days.

Love the stories and photos!

Chrissy, said...

I love reading about your adventure in China. Tate is soooooo stinkin cute!!!! I was with Lacy yesterday and held her little boy Karsten. I think he is almost excacly Tates age. He is 8 months.I'm thinking of you and so happy for you :)