Sunday, January 15, 2006

PARENT PRACTICE CASE STDY I

Whew talk about a parent defining moment......
I've been practicing the parenting skills on my 90 lbs of lovin' snuggle puppy fun....MESA. So I am noticing that Mesa has been acting a little "SICK".... weepy eyed, raspy breath, and runny nose. However this sickness is not going to stop her from playing outside in the cold with her puppy buddies Turbo and Scout. It snowed today and I stayed indoors baking, blogging, and lazying around. This was the perfect time for Mesa to rest up and veg-out. I pull out my stethoscope and check her breathing. Lungs all clear but I assess she needs something to help her RELAX and dry out that runny nose.... Ah.... Benadryl would clear her secretions AND help her sleep..... Benadryl did clear the sinuses but the little pill made her HYPER!!!!!!!!! Here I was homebound in the snow with a hyper 90 lb dog who wanted my attention constantly.

Note to self.... Always check how benadryl affects child (or practice child... Dog) before opting its use in helping to modify behavior..... Just a thought for the plane

ride home....

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Thats a funny story, as I read on someone's blog that they used Benedryl for the plane ride home (worked like a charm) BUT they tested it first a few days before going home - as it does tend to make some children hyper. Your note to self was correct!! I hope Mesa is doing better today.

Colleen~

Lisa and Tate said...

MESA is doing fine.... still the sweetest loving snuggle puppy EVER!!!!!! And back to her normal semi-mellow self...

Lisa

Kristin said...

My daughter also reacts like your dog... I made the mistake of giving her Benadryl before a flight to NY and let me tell you.. she was so out of control that people felt SORRY for me... women kept stopping by my row and saying things like, "My 3rd was the worst also..."!

Glad the pup is better and we have moved on to Dramamine for flight relaxation.